What Is an Overdenture?
Are you missing many teeth and are considering getting dentures or dental implants to restore your smile? Do you want to smile with confidence knowing gaps in your smile won’t show or your dentures won’t slip out of place? Then overdentures may be the right choice for you.
An overdenture, also called an implant-supported or implant-retained overdenture, is a removable dental prosthesis that is attached to dental implants for added support. Dr. Ang can often use just two to four dental implants to secure an overdenture to replace a full arch of missing teeth.
Why Choose Overdentures?
Overdentures combine the best of removable dentures and fixed dentures with none of the downsides. With overdentures, you have the freedom to remove them overnight and for cleaning but the stability of dental implants. They also cost less than fixed implant-supported dentures, which is why some of our Amherst-area patients choose them for their full-arch restoration. Overdentures also:
- Maintain a healthy jawbone structure
- Allow you to eat the foods you love
- Help you speak clearly and easily
- Restore your confidence to smile
The Overdenture Process
The overdenture process is similar to the dental implant process, and all steps are completed at our Amherst office. You’ll start with a consultation, and together, you and Dr. Ang will decide if overdentures or another tooth replacement option, such as an implant-supported bridge, is right for you.
We use state-of-the-art technology to create your personalized treatment plan which will be designed to fit your unique goals and needs. This specialized plan will help Dr. Ang and his team complete your dental implant placement in the most efficient, effective and accurate way possible.
How Do I Care for My Overdentures?
Just like your natural teeth, bacteria and plaque forms on your overdenture throughout the day, making a proper daily cleaning a necessity. We offer the following recommendations for cleaning your overdenture at bedtime:
- Remove your overdenture and clean it using a soft-bristled toothbrush and a mild detergent. Gently brush all areas of the overdenture and follow up with a thorough rinse.
- After cleaning, place the overdenture in a glass of plain water and soak it overnight.
- Avoid using bleach or other harsh chemicals when cleaning your overdenture.
It’s also important to thoroughly clean your mouth and around your overdenture attachments to keep the surrounding gums healthy and free of infection. To keep your mouth healthy, we recommend:
- Brushing around the abutments with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Small toothbrushes, such as child-sized, or interdental brushes are especially helpful for cleaning food particles from around the abutments. Also brush your gums, tongue, and roof of the mouth to keep your entire mouth healthy and breath fresh.
- Rinsing with mouthwash twice a day to remove debris and germs.
- Visiting us for regular checkups so we can make sure your gums and bones remain healthy and your overdenture fits properly.
How Do I Know If Overdentures Are Right for Me?
If you are missing all or most of your natural teeth on one or both arches, or if you already wear removable dentures, overdentures may be a good choice for you. We encourage you to discover your treatment options by scheduling a consultation with Dr. Ang. If tooth loss causes you to struggle while eating, speaking, or feeling confident enough to smile, don’t wait any longer. We can find the right tooth replacement option for you.
Use our convenient online form to contact our practice in Amherst or give us a call at 603-769-3830 and let us know how we can help you with your smile.